Sunday, September 20, 2015

Two of a kind




Although I could write continuously about this song and its meaning, I have decided to write about the book I'm reading. This song just happens to go along with this post quite perfectly.
    Recently I've started reading The Other Wes Moore by Wes Moore for a school assignment. I could tell you a lot of positive things about this particular book, however today's post is about something that is borderline positive and negative. It's really just sad...
     To really understand a book, or really any piece of literature, whether it be an article, a song, a poem, or anything of the like; one must connect to the ideas. If you can relate an event or a character to yourself or a personal experience, it is easier to really get into the piece. At least, that's how I view it. In this case, I wish I couldn't relate to this character, or relate to him in a different way.
     The "Other Wes Moore" in this story ( this would make a lot more sense if you read the book) is on a bad path in life. He has started selling drugs, becoming violent, and is a soon to be father with a women he isn't committed to.
            This particular character reminds me of someone very important to me. In respect of his privacy I will refrain from naming names or his status in my life.  This person has done drugs since he was in middle school( he is now 24), he has many cases of extensive anger and violence on his record, however not as major as attempted murder! He is a father to a child that he cannot prove is his, he has cut off his family, and is in general on a very bad path in life. Reading this story has brought up the memories of this person and the feelings attached.
     This is a really intense story, however a very good story, that I recommend that you read. Not only for the enjoyment of a story, but to open your eyes to how much one choice can change your entire future.


1 comment: